Once again, I'd like to express my views on a recent statement made by our Home Minister, Dato Syed Hamid Albar. This time, Albar was referring to a speech made about three weeks ago by Zaid Ibrahim (prominent Malaysian lawyer) who criticised the concept of Ketuanan Melayu (Malay Supremacy).
I am not going to comment on Zaid's speech as I have no intention on questioning Ketuanan Melayu. What I will point out is Albar's questionable reply statement about the speech.
This is what Albar said... ' If you say the concept of Malay supremacy has failed, then Zaid will not be what he is today. He is fortunate he was born a Malay ' .
Hmm...although the statement is short and direct, I find it questionable as it seems to have a few other indirect meanings behind it such as :-
Is he indirectly saying that Chinese people are unfortunate to be born as Chinese ?
Are Indian people unfortunate to be born as Indians ?
Are the Kadazan people unfortunate to be born as Kadazans ?
Are the Iban people unfortunate to be born as Ibans ?
Are the Bajau people unfortunate to be born as Bajaus ?
Are all Malays born lucky ?
If Zaid was born of another race, does that mean he would have been unsuccessful and unfortunate ?
Is Zaid successful only because of Ketuanan Melayu ?
Does Zaid's own hard work, effort & intelligence have no role play in his success ?
Are some Malays only successful because of Ketuanan Melayu & nothing else ?
Hmm...so many questions and indirect meanings from such a short statement.
Quote found in NST of November 4 2008, page 4.
No comments:
Post a Comment